Monday Morning Boost: Masters of Influence
The words we use as leaders have an impact. How we express those words will have even more of an impact, be it through writing, speaking, leading, managing, sales, negotiating, or communicating of any kind.
Even in normal everyday conversations.
Seeking to improve how I use my own words, and how to more intentionally express them, is a lifelong journey. Part of that quest connected me three years ago to the Mountain West Chapter of the National Speakers Association (NSA). Through our monthly meetings in Salt Lake (and via zoom for most of a year), I have been empowered and encouraged, taught and trained, motivated and masterfully influenced!
NSA INFLUENCE 2021
I took that masterful influence to the next level by attending the NSA’s annual conference “Influence,” where I am literally sounding myself with incredible leaders who graciously and intentionally shared what they have learned over the years, and specifically over the last 18 months. This intentional sharing is a major focus of NSA’s core mission of “Empowering professional speakers to thrive and influence” by focusing their efforts to “elevate excellence, share expertise, and challenge one another to improve.”
We spend a significant portion of our adult life surrounded by the people we work with and those we associate with through our professional pursuits
You most likely spend a lot of time with your coworkers, maybe even more time than with your own family and friends. These connections and the environment within which you work will directly impact the way you feel about yourself.
This is a truth I have discovered over the last few years as I have built my professional career as a speaker and leadership mentor. When it comes to a group of high caliber greatness to intentionally surround myself with, my tribe at the NSA Mountain West chapter is top caliber all around!
TY BENNETT – MY FIRST NSA MASTER OF INFLUENCE
As I watched the CPAE Hall of Fame ceremony, my heart was filled with gratitude for many within the National Speakers Association who have blessed my career and my life. While there are literally been many, it all started with Ty Bennett. I shared with you a message I sent to Ty that tonight during the ceremony.
Four days of NSA Influence immersion, countless conversations, ideas, and strategies, and connections to beautiful people living the Spirit of Cavet…
It all started with you Ty.
As I experience the Hall of Fame ceremony tonight, a ceremony that is simply beautiful because the people are, I am so excited to be part of this NSA family.
It all started with you Ty.
Others have aided this NSA journey, cheering me on and intentionally and consistently empowering me to know I belonged especially when I felt I didn’t.
It all started with you Ty.
It all started with you Ty and I wanted you to know that right now. I love you Ty and will forever be grateful for your intentional gift of time, mentoring, and empowering greatness.
NSA “CPAE” HALL OF FAME 2021
The NSA Hall of Fame CPAE (Council of Peers Award for Excellence) is a lifetime award for speaking excellence and professionalism. It is the pinnacle of achievement for a professional speaker, akin to receiving an Oscar at the Academy Awards.
These six speakers were inducted into the Hall of Fame this year. I’ve included a couple of key insights I have picked up from them (listed as pictured, left to right, holding their CPAE award).
- Sam Silverstein – Accountability is not a “way of doing.” Rather, accountability is the highest form of leadership and is actually a better and more effective way of thinking about the people in our families, our organizations, and our communities.
- Laurie Guest – It’s time to move forward from our pandemic-era adjustments and put the customer first again. As business returns to a familiar state (which is different than normal) focus on creating incredible customer experiences.
- John B Molidor – John did not receive the CPAE but is included here because he received the Cavet Award for Service, named for the founder of the NSA. He is the one I don’t know at all. The following thought is from Chad Hymas: “You epitomize what Cavett stands for. Your heart and spirit resonate with everybody that comes in contact with you! It truly was an honor to be with you on the night of your award!”
- Anna Liotta – Recognize how your own generational blind spots may be sabotaging your ability to make connections with both older or younger clients.
- Ross Bernstein – Discover your personal superpower, Spend more time on the phone and call people back, Be known as a Giver.
- Phil Jones – Using better words and phrases will make better connections. For instance, when you say something like “Just Imagine” or “How would you feel if” you paint a picture connecting with people on a deeper emotional level (ie. Feelings activate decisions. Logic confirms decisions). I love his book, “Exactly What To Say.”
- Mark Eaton – Mark deserves his own section. Keep on reading!
RED EDGE LIVE – THE INTERVIEW WITH MARK EATON (THAT DIDN’T HAPPEN)
Mark Eaton found out before he passed on May 28, 2021, that he would be inducted into the Hall of Fame for the National Speakers Association. The award ceremony took place Monday night in Las Vegas. I had the honor of being there.
Mark and I were working to find a time he could be my guest on Red Edge Live. Unfortunately, it never happened.
But we did have an incredible conversation I would like to share with you. I’ll also share some highlights from the Hall of Fame ceremony where Mark was honored by his dear friends Chad Hymas (holding Mark Eaton’s #53 jersey) and Jason Hewlett (standing to my right), his mentor Kathy Loveless (not pictured) who received the award on his behalf, and a beautiful video tribute from his amazing wife Teri Eaton.
Mark Eaton was a man who gave it his all in everything he did. He learned his job and played hard to win. And most importantly, he never stopped giving to others.
As my friend Jodi Orgill Brown shared, “Now and forever, Mark Eaton, NBA 2x Defensive Player of the Year, CSP, CPAE (Speaker Hall of Fame)!!!”
CLICK HERE TO ENJOY MY RED EDGE LIVE CONVERSATION ABOUT MY CONVERSATION WITH MARK EATON.
CLICK HERE TO READ HOW MARK EATON BECAME MY “GREAT ENCOURAGER.”
Have a great Monday. Thanks for letting me share!
p.s. Take 13 minutes today to reflect on how you use your voice to be a master of influence.
The Story You Most Consistently Create Will be The Story To Most Consistently Come True In Your Life. Promise To Intentionally Create A Beautiful, Powerful, Wonderful Story Of Love And Greatness!
RED EDGE MENTORING – STORY | STRATEGY | SERVICE
EMPOWER LEADERS TO CREATE a STORY of GREATNESS, a STRATEGY of SUCCESS, and a CULTURE of SERVICE & LOVE.
Discover More By Scheduling A Complimentary :30 Minute Red Edge Strategy Mentoring Call